This new component of our higher education programme aims to enable young refugees, asylum seekers and survivors of trafficking who are facing barriers in accessing higher education to overcome these obstacles and move forward in their education through face-to-face specialist advice, guidance and support. And read on for information about a great event at KCL that we'll be part of in February.
What does this project offer?
- an appointment-based support service for young refugees, asylum seekers and survivors of trafficking who are currently trying to access higher education or are planning to do so in the future
- a face-to-face assessment during which particular needs will be identified and a higher education action plan created
- accurate advice and information on a young person’s eligibility for ‘Home’ fee status and student finance, as well as alternative sources of funding
- emotional and practical support to facilitate a move to the next level of education
- advocacy on behalf of young people, including liaising with social workers, education practitioners, solicitors and other external partners
- help to access further specialised support
Who can get help through this project?
We are currently able to offer this face-to-face support to young refugees, asylum-seekers and survivors of trafficking aiming to access higher education who:
- are aged 15 – 25
- are currently living in, or have a significant connection to (e.g. through education or residence) the following London boroughs: Barnet, Brent, Camden, Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harrow, Kensington & Chelsea, City of Westminster, City of London
Please note that we are only able to offer face-to-face sessions for those with connections to these boroughs.
If you would like to contact RSN about face-to-face support and/or refer to this project, please email Dan at [email protected] or call: 07923 188935.
If the young person does not have a connection to any of these boroughs, they can access phone-based advice and guidance through our advice line on 07597 583228 or 0800 331 7292. Please leave a clear message with your name and number so that one of our team can call you back. You can also contact the advice line via email at [email protected]
Don't miss this great day at King's College London
University information Session for Refugees and Asylum Seekers: Tuesday 27th February 3pm-6pm
If you have Refugee, Asylum Seeker, Limited Leave to Remain, or Humanitarian Protection status and are interested in applying to university, come to KCL's free information session to find out more.
The event will cover:
- An overview of the application process
- How to apply
- Writing a good personal statement
- Student Finance eligibility
- Support available to you, including full tuition fee bursaries.
There will be the chance to speak to professional advisors from refugee organisations (including RSN), staff from King's College London and current King's students from refugee/asylum seeker backgrounds.
KCL can help with travel cover costs to the event.