My immigration status has changed whilst at university. What should I do?

There a few important steps to take when you find out your immigration status has changed:

1. Speak with an educational advisor at university so they can guide you on steps to take and people to contact. This can include Student Services and the Widening Participation team at your university, as they are a good point of first contact. You may also want to speak to an organisation like UKCISA who can provide advice about education entitlements.

2. Seek legal advice from your solicitor or an advisory group such as CORAM Legal Centre about the implications of the changes of your status. 

3. Inform the university of the change because this can affect your fee status and entitlements.

4. Inform Student Finance or any organisation that is funding your studies e.g. charitable trusts, grants and scholarship networks.

If you receive refugee status after starting your course, you should usually be eligible to receive student finance for the following academic year. For example a student who is granted refugee status whilst studying in Year 1 of their course will normally be eligible to receive student finance at the beginning of Year 2.

If you are still awaiting the results of your asylum claim and there is a development whilst you are studying at university, it is best to discuss this with legal advisors such as your solicitor and CORAM Legal Centre.

Back to FAQs

Refugee Support Network is a charity registered in England & Wales under charity number 1132509 and company number 06879651 at 1st Floor, The Salvation Army Building, London NW10 4JJ. We use cookies to improve your experience using this website. To learn more, read our privacy policy.
Log in | Powered by White Fuse